I’m Alan Moore and I live near Malton in Ryedale. I have over 30 years experience of teaching classroom music (including GCSE/’A’ Level) with North Yorkshire County Council, as well as privately teaching the piano and keyboard. In that time, I have successfully entered many students for their Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music instrumental examinations.
I am DBS/CRB checked and hold an Enhanced Certificate. I have also completed the NSPCC Child Protection Awareness In Music programme.
My musical qualifications include a BA (Hons), Dip.Mus, PGCE teaching certificate and I hold a diploma in Media Composition from ThinkSpace Education (affiliated to the Film Music Institute of Los Angeles). I also hold a 2nd BA (Hons) in Humanities (English/History).
As a media composer, I have won several commissions to score the soundtracks to feature films, shorts, animated films, documentaries and even audio books. I have many satisfied clients across the world. You can find out more at AlanMooreMusic.com or listen here to my music.
Why Should I Take Music Lessons with Alan?
- I have 30 years experience of piano tuition and all aspects of classroom music
- Fully qualified music teacher: BA Hons, Dip.Mus, Postgraduate Certificate in Education, MISM, ABRSM piano grades
- DBS/CRB checked through the ISM and my teaching in local schools
- Registered ABRSM teacher (I can enter students for piano examinations)
- DofE Assessor: learn to play the piano for your Duke of Edinburgh's Award
- Music for the Media graduate (I compose music and encourage my students to do the same)
- Registered Private Teacher member of the Incorporated Society of Musicians – the UK’s professional body for musicians
- All ages and abilities welcome (from ages 6 to 60+), including piano lessons for homeschoolers
- Child-centred teaching, friendly and enthusiastic
- I treat each student as an individual and plan their lessons accordingly, thereby addressing each student’s needs and goals
- I keep detailed lesson notes and suggestions for improvement after each lesson which I email to parents and students in preparation for the next lesson
- Flexible arrangements: I can teach music lessons at your home, school (if arranged), community centre, etc. I cover mainly the Malton, Pickering and wider Ryedale area.
- Competitive fees, especially as I travel to your home to teach
- Adults of any age are most welcome to take piano lessons
As a teacher, I have a passion for making private lessons exciting, challenging and, most of all, fun! I tailor lessons towards the individual in order to make sure that progress is fast and entertaining.
Over the years, I have taught GCSE and ‘A’ Level Music and have also been a Head of Music, supporting and developing the careers of newly qualified teachers.
I have led various ensembles and choirs and have been Musical Director for many productions over the years, ranging from ‘My Fair Lady’, ‘Grease’, ‘Calamity Jane’, ‘Vackees’, ‘Scrooge’ to ‘The Snowman’.
I have written Schemes of Work, developed strategies for underachieving students and peer assessment, mentored new teachers, provided music for assemblies, successfully led music departments through OFSTED inspections and developed recording and IT resources. In 1987, I appeared live on the BBC’s ‘Children in Need’ programme, accompanying a group of singers from my school.
As a Form Tutor (Years 7-13), I have developed a keen sense of what makes young people tick!
As a composer, my tastes in music are eclectic, ranging from pop/rock to classical, soundtrack and ethnic styles. I have worked on award-winning films and have also won several runner-up and finalist places in the UK Songwriting Contest.
Also, have a read through some testimonials.
So, if you need an experienced piano teacher, click here to get in touch.