Conditions of Music Tuition
The Teacher will give tuition in a Series of monthly lessons consisting of one lesson per week (unless a different number of lessons is agreed upon). The Series will not necessarily coincide with school terms. The Teacher will give the lessons at the time and location agreed upon and the Teacher will reserve this time slot for the Pupil.
Payment of fees
For the first couple of weeks, fees will be due immediately after each lesson. From the third lesson onwards, the Pupil (or the Pupil’s parent or guardian) will pay the fees for each Series of 6 lessons in advance (cash, cheque or bank transfer). Renewal payments are due by the last lesson of the current block in order to secure the same time slot for the following 6-weeks. I will remind you in person or via email the week prior to the payment being due (usually I will send an invoice for the next Series of lessons).
Before the first lesson of each month, the Teacher will give the Pupil (or the Pupil’s parent or guardian) written/email notice of (i) holiday breaks (when lessons will not be given) up to the start of the following Series; (ii) the date of the final lesson in the Series; and (iii) the start date of the following Series. Holiday breaks may occur partway through a Series.
Outside the holiday breaks notified to the Pupil (or the Pupil’s parent or guardian) in accordance with Condition 3 above, the Teacher will charge for any scheduled lessons which the Pupil does not attend, unless the Teacher chooses not to do so because of exceptional circumstances. If the Teacher is obliged to cancel a scheduled lesson, the Pupil (or the Pupil’s parent or guardian) may choose between (i) carrying the lesson forward; (ii) receiving a replacement lesson; or (iii) receiving a refund of the lesson fee.
Examinations, competitions and public performances
The Pupil will not be entered for any examination, competition or public performance without the prior consent of both the Teacher and the Pupil (or the Pupil’s parent or guardian).
Termination of tuition
- This Agreement may be ended by mutual consent at any time by both signatories to it signing and dating a written statement to that effect.
- Either signatory to this Agreement may terminate the Agreement by giving notice in writing to the other signatory at least one month before the end of a Series for the termination to take effect at the end of that Series. Termination by one signatory may take effect at the end of a Series only and not at any other time. If the Teacher gives notice to terminate tuition at the end of a Series in accordance with this Condition the Teacher will continue to provide lessons until the end of that Series.
Failure to give notice
Unless terminated under Condition 6 above, this Agreement shall continue from Series to Series. If the Pupil (or the Pupil’s Parent or Guardian) fails to give full notice to terminate this Agreement in accordance with Condition 6(b) above and the signatories have not agreed to terminate the Agreement in accordance with Condition 6(a) above, the following charges will be made in lieu of notice:
- Where the notice given is less than that required under Condition 6(b), and not in accordance with Condition 6(a), but is one month or more before the start of the next Series: 10% of the fees for the next Series;
- Where the notice given is less than one month but more than three weeks before the start of the next series: 25% of the fees for the next Series;
- Where the notice given is less than three weeks but more than two weeks before the start of the next series: 50% of the fees for the next Series;
- Where the notice given is less than two weeks before the start of the next series: 100% of the fees for the next Series;
If the Pupil stops attending lessons while a Series is ongoing, the Pupil (or the Pupil’s Parent or Guardian) is not entitled to a refund of any fees paid for that Series. The Pupil is entitled to attend any lessons paid for.
If the Teacher stops lessons without giving the correct notice specified in Condition 6(b) above the Teacher shall refund any fees already paid for any lessons not given.
If the Teacher, using his reasonable discretion, feels unable to continue tuition on account of conduct by the Pupil or anyone connected with the Pupil which makes it unethical or unsafe to continue teaching the Pupil, the fees for any outstanding lessons will not be refundable.
- Any changes to the terms of this Agreement must be confirmed in writing and signed and dated by both the Teacher and the Pupil (or the Pupil’s parent or guardian).
- If the Teacher chooses to waive any right or remedy under this Agreement or otherwise (for example, if the Teacher chooses to waive fees for any lessons which the Pupil (or any other pupil) does not attend) this shall not mean that he must do so in future or that he waives any other rights or remedies, unless agreed in writing in accordance with Condition 9(a) above.